CFLHorsemen.ca

One stop for your Stampeder News!

Calgarians weary from soaring property taxes feel

Talk about all the other things that don't involve sports

Moderators: captaincrunch, geo_jones_dog, Childress, calf, Goal Digger, @podcasterryan

Calgarians weary from soaring property taxes feel

Postby Jesters91 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:41 pm

they aren't getting their money's worth says poll...

Calgarians who’ve seen their property taxes soar 32% in the last three years don’t feel they are getting their money’s worth from city spenders, says a Sun poll.

Ald. Gord Lowe, a long-serving member and former head of the city’s finance committee, told the Sun’s Bill Kaufmann despite being averse to taxes, Calgarians support “executive-class services” and even if Calgary stopped growing, taxes would have to keep rising.

But an online poll of Calgary Sun readers found an overwhelming majority — 1,286 votes or 89% by Sunday afternoon — say they do not feel they are getting value from their money.

“I’m so tired of the City of Calgary wasting my tax dollars,” wrote Kari Jaeger-Burley on the Sun’s Facebook page.

Donald Mundrick agreed.

“If someone could convince me that there was not massive waste of our tax dollars, I would be much happier with the taxes I pay,” he wrote.

“But when you have the arrogance of many aldermen as well as the mayor telling us that we are stupid, I don’t see how we are getting value for our dollar.”

Ross O’Brien said tax increases hurt Calgary’s elderly.

“There has to come a time when the city has reached a cap on how much they can continually bilk home owners on seemingly endless property tax increases, especially to our elderly citizens who can least afford it!” he commented on the Sun’s online story.

But Lowe said while everyone is entitled to their opinion, he stands by his remarks.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2013/08/04/ca ... y-sun-poll
GO STAMPS GO
Jesters91
You were Rene Paredes "Aiming Coach"

Re: Calgarians weary from soaring property taxes feel

Postby Dogdrool » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:44 pm

Well Nenshi and his Merry band of robbers got in power by saying before an election that they will hold the taxes down! Well when a employee does not do what is asked of them what do we fire them! This group needs to be sent packing.
Stamps the only team worth watching!
Dogdrool
Kevin Feteriks Backup

Postby Jesters91 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:25 am

Dogdrool wrote:Well Nenshi and his Merry band of robbers got in power by saying before an election that they will hold the taxes down! Well when a employee does not do what is asked of them what do we fire them! This group needs to be sent packing.

Sadly I don't think enough people care enough to do something about it....which is as easy as casting a ballot on election day. Last election the people choose to re-elect Druh Farell and those that wasted 25 million tax dollars on a foot bridge that had several questions about it (ie: the bid process, the cost, etc...) as well as it being totally unnecessary since there is another bridge a couple of hundred metres away from it's location. I don't understand how people choose to ignore this type of blatant misuse of power and not cast a ballot. I hope the people who usually don't vote decide it's time to make a statement in October. I also hope there is a valid alternative to Spendshi as he will not get my vote this time.
GO STAMPS GO
Jesters91

Postby iso_55 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:08 am

Nenshi is going to be acclaimed so what does that say? That there's not going to be any kind of taxpayer revolt anytime soon.
iso_55
Guys on the D-line Let You Choose The Locker Room Songs

Postby captaincrunch » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:12 am

I would doubt that the purple highness is going anywhere. Calgary has this funny tradition where no one decent will run against a incumbent mayor, they'll wait until he decides he doesn't want to be mayor anymore then run.

The only hope is to topple members of the council. Druh has to go she's worthless so do a bunch of other people.

My complaint is Lowe saying you want first rate services then you have to pay taxes. But to be frank, does anyone think we're getting first rate services? Roads are cracking, snow clearing isn't happening anywhere but the main streets, parts and recreational facilities are not being taken care of properly.

But we got a bridge that looks like a chinese finger trap, and after all the bluster about more people wanting to come and see a Calavatra or whatever its called, I'd like to see proof that tourists are coming to Calgary just to stare lovingly at that monstrosity.

The fact is that property taxes have doubled since we elected Nemshi as mayor, fees for other services have increased. They seized money that doesn't belong to them, and they're fixing to do it again, and now he wants the right for municipalities to define taxation.

I voted for Nemshi in the last election, while I liked the way he handled the flood, I hated how he handled the occupy movement, I hate his budgetary stance and the taxation, and I hate the arrogance and to some extent dishonesty especially with the 52 million dollar tax return.

I know that he's not likely to be toppled, but my vote will definitely go to someone else unless he shows up at my house and showers me with these so called first class services.
captaincrunch

Postby Jesters91 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:01 pm

I won't vote for Spendshi. That being said will there be any worthy alternatives?? Unfortunately I don't see Spendshi going anywhere and his ego will continue to outgrow what he has done for the people that voted him into office.

As for city counsellors I am in Big Red's riding. As she voted to return the tax dollars she still has my vote unless something drastically changes my opinion between now and election day.
GO STAMPS GO
Jesters91

Postby Dogdrool » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:18 am

If Koko the chimp was a running against Nenshi, Koko would be the logical choice! Seriously people have got to understand that this guy is worse then Bronco when it comes to being devious. I have no idea what people see in this clown. He is ripping taxpayers off and has lied through out his stint as mayor. He was voted in under the I will hold taxes banner and clean up city hall! He has messed up city hall even more.
Stamps the only team worth watching!
Dogdrool
Kevin Feteriks Backup

Return to Off topic forum